Outdoor cooking: The Ultimate Guide
Cooking in the outdoors with an Ooni Pizza Oven is what it’s all about. Whether you have a garden, an outdoor kitchen, a mini terrace, or just like spending time camping, there’s nothing like the smell of freshly baked pizza wafting through the air. In this blog, we want to help you understand what you need to get the most out of outdoor cooking, whether at home or while travelling.
Choosing the Right Size:
- Outdoor space: The size of your outdoor area will determine the suitability of your Ooni Pizza Oven. Ensure you get the right oven for your space.
- Versatility: For larger areas, consider the 16" Karu and 16” Koda models, which will also offer you greater versatility of cooking options.
- Small but mighty: Opt for 12" models for smaller spaces, or the Volt electric pizza oven for flexibility.
Outdoor cooking should be enjoyable! And there are a few essential pieces of kit that will make your life a whole lot easier.
- Set the scene: A modular table ensures your oven stays safe and secure while a topping station lets everybody assemble their perfect pizza combos.
- Cooking essentials: A pizza peel is your best friend and makes launching your creations super easy, while an infrared thermometer takes away the guesswork, and lets you know exactly when your oven is ready to use.
Fuel your pizza desires
When choosing an Ooni, it’s vital to consider your fuel source – wood/charcoal, gas, or electric. Each has its pros and cons, but which one is right for you?
- The Gas Option: Gas ovens will give you more control over your cooking, with a more reliable heat source that lets you regulate temperatures.
- The Wood and Charcoal Options: On taste, wood and charcoal provide that unmistakable smokey taste and a more authentic wood-fired flavour.
- The Electric Option: If you’re in a smaller space, then the Volt electric oven is a great option.
Picking the right fuel source that not only suits your garden but also suits your cooking needs, is an important first step to getting the outdoor cooking experience you love. And whichever you choose, never fear – ALL Ooni ovens deliver pizzas that taste amazing.
Now, there’s a serious side to outdoor cooking, and it wouldn’t be a great guide if we didn’t include a few safety tips! Safety ensures everyone can have a great cooking experience, so here are our top tips:
- Be Prepared: Read and follow the instructions and safety guidelines that were included with your Ooni oven.
- Keep your oven secure: Place the oven on a stable, heat-resistant surface, away from flammable materials and with sufficient clearance above and around it.
- Protect the hands: Use heat-resistant gloves or oven mitts when handling hot surfaces.
- Watch out!: Supervise children and pets around the cooking area.
- Cool things off: Allow the oven to cool down completely before cleaning or storing.
Travelling with an Ooni
With an Ooni Pizza Oven, you can bring the flavours of Italy to your backyard. But, what if you’re out and about? Don’t worry, we’ve got you covered! Whether you’re camping, glamping, or just making your travel buddies jealous, there’s a great range of portable Oonis that let you take your pizza expertise with you wherever you go.
- Travel size: The Fyra 12”, the Karu 12”, and the Koda 12” are all portable, but still large enough to cook a delicious pizza or a variety of other dishes. Our latest release - the Ooni Karu 12G - has even been called “The world’s most advanced portable pizza oven”, so you can travel with your oven, without compromising on functionality.
- Food for thought: Taking an Ooni on your travels lets you whip up a variety of hot, delicious dishes for hungry campers – and not just pizzas. You can use it for meat, veggie dishes and even fish. Check out our range of recipes for some inspiration.
- Don’t overload: Just like you don’t want too many toppings on a pizza, you don’t want too many groceries in the trunk of your car, so it's best to plan accurately for outdoor cooking. Avoid the hassle of carrying home unrefrigerated leftovers or dealing with sweaty cheese.
Long live outdoor cooking
We know we're biased, but we think that outdoor cooking is, honestly, one of the greatest things in the history of the world. It offers so many long-term benefits, from socializing to mental well-being. Additionally, the option to pay in instalments provides convenience and flexibility. So, hopefully, we’ve convinced you. Now all that’s left to do is grab an Ooni oven, get outdoors and start cooking!
Ooni Karu 16 Multi-Fuel Pizza Oven$1,099.00
Multiple fuel options for maximum cooking versatility Cook with wood or charcoal out of the box, or use gas with the Ooni Karu 16 Gas Burner (sold...View full details
Ooni Koda 12 Gas Powered Pizza Oven$549.00
Gas fueled for the ultimate ease and control Reaches 950°F (500°C) in just 15 minutes Cooks stone-baked fresh 12” pizza in just 60 seconds Fits in...View full details
Ooni Fyra 12 Wood Pellet Pizza Oven$479.00
Hardwood pellet fuelled for consistently high heat and low maintenance Wood fired flavoured 12” pizzas Reaches 950 °F (500 °C) in just 15 minutes ...View full details